Sexual Assault Investigations Course Available
Sexual Assault Investigations Course
Sponsored by: Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST)
February 25 – 27, 2019 0800-1700 hours
Investigators are invited to attend a three-day course on sexual assault, taught by experts working in the field. This fully funded course will be offered semi-annually at the POST campus. It will cover the entire process of investigating a sexual assault from initial notification or call-out of an investigator through the final resolution. Our goal is to provide those newly assigned to sex
crime investigations with a solid foundation and understanding of the process. This confidence will optimize their success, and ultimately provide the highest level of justice to the victim
throughout the criminal process and beyond.
**There is no cost to attend this training.** The creation and funding for this course was authorized by the Utah Legislature with the passage of the Sexual Assault Kit Processing Act (HB 200, 2017) which mandated the Department of Public Safety (DPS)/Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), and Utah Prosecution Council (UPC) develop and deliver a course with emphasis in the following areas:
• recognizing the symptoms of trauma
• understanding the impact of trauma on a victim
• responding to the needs and concerns of a victim of sexual assault
or sexual abuse
• delivering services to victims of sexual assault or sexual abuse in a compassionate, sensitive, and nonjudgmental manner
• understanding cultural perceptions and common myths of sexual assault and sexual abuse
• techniques of writing reports
**Lodging and per diem are available on a case by case basis**
Limited seats are available so register early.
Click here for a pdf flyer.