POST Basic Public Safety Dispatcher Training Course
POST BASIC PUBLIC SAFETY DISPATCHER TRAINING COURSE
January 28 – February 1, 2019
April 29 – May 3, 2019
July 29 – August 2, 2019
October 28 – November 1, 2019
Hours: 40 (0800-1700 Monday-Friday)
Location: POST, 410 West 9800 South, Sandy, Utah
Attendance: Minimum 25 persons – Maximum 35 persons
Target Audience: New Dispatchers seeking to obtain POST Basic Public Safety Dispatcher Certification.
To apply for the course, candidates should have Agency Administrator or Training Coordinator register them for the training through the POST Portal at portal.post.utah.gov
If you do not have a POST Portal Account- please send an email with your full name and agency to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a 40 hour in classroom course intended for new dispatchers who are seeking POST certification as a Basic Public Safety Dispatcher. This course is limited to employees of a recognized public safety dispatch center. Applicants must complete and submit the POST Application for Training and Certification two (2) weeks prior to day one of this course.
The application information can be found by clicking here.
Applicants who have not submitted a complete application two weeks prior to the course will not be eligible to attend.
Before being eligible for certification an applicant must obtain the following training and certification:
- Utah Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) certification
- Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) proficiency certificate
- Incident Command System (ICS) 100, ICS 200 and National Incident Management System (NIMS) 700 training
- Complete the basic dispatcher training course conducted by a POST authorized basic dispatcher training instructor
- Pass the certification examination as prescribed in Utah Code Ann. § 53-6-303
- Applicants must also meet the minimum requirements established in Utah Code Ann. § 53-6-303.
Description: This course will be taught by experienced Public Safety Dispatchers. The course will cover the following topics:
- Role of the Public Safety Dispatcher and Overview of Public Safety Organizations
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (overview)
- State and National Computer Files
- Effective Communications
- Public Safety Call Taking and Interrogation
- Homeland Security Issues
- Crime Classifications and the Utah State Criminal Code
- Law Enforcement Dispatching
- Fire Dispatching
- Legal Aspects of Public Safety Dispatching
- Communications Technology
- Excited Delirium/Agitated Chaotic Events
- Health and Wellness – Stress Management